I’m making a two sets of custom grips for someone and they want the diamond pattern that I made before.
So I need to make some more glued up material.
In order to do that, I have to rip a bunch of 1/4″ and 1/2″ strips of walnut and maple.
The last time I just set the fence at 1/4″ and went for it.
This time I built a jig and a new table saw insert with a splitter.
I found a set of plans for free (pdf) and based my jig on it. I like the hard board runners – they work great and are easy to make and fit.
I ripped a bunch of 1/4″ strips.
Then I interleaved them.
And glued them up.
I glued them in groups of three and off set the ends so they will end up at a 30° angle. Later I glued the batches of three into batches of six and then the whole stack. The last time I had some clamping issues with the strips and I’m trying to get around that problem.
I did the same routine with some 1/2″ strips.
The next post will be about cutting them at a 30° angle and gluing them up again.
I suppose I should make a post about making the grips, they are a type I have not made before and are very challenging. (Wish I had a CNC router – that would make it much easier… I’d better get on that project.)