My Ubuntu server that powers this blog hasn’t been upgraded for a while. The uptime was 450+ days and the Message of the Day was telling me I needed to reboot for some thing or another.
So I decided to do the dist-upgrade. What could go wrong?
Well, I’m still finding out. I’m not even sure what version I was running. 11.something I think. It was upgraded to 12.04.2 LTS.
mysql – it appears to have removed the server application and not installed a new one. I had to install mysql-server (and dependencies) to get it running again.
sqlgrey – something changed so that it only listened on the ipv6 localhost address. I had to edit the config to force it to 127.0.0.1.
postfix – another ipv6 issue, so I disabled ipv6 in /etc/sysctl.conf
mailman – lost it’s template files. I believe they moved, maybe I originally installed from source, I don’t remember. I had to hunt down the template files (which were on the disk in /usr/share/mailman) and change the link to them.
carbon/graphite/whisper – not sure what happened here. I had to reinstall whisper and carbon. Graphite web pages were dorked up because python-whisper appears to have been removed and not re-installed.
That’s all I’ve found so far. Some fun.
And ironically, before I upgraded my Ubuntu server, I patched and rebooted my Windows 2003 server. In the past this has been a risky action, but today – flawless. Go figger.