RS Resurrection – Work, Work, Work

More details on recent work.

Since the last update I’ve done the following:

  • Replaced the neutral switch (which you can do without pulling the transmission!)
  • Installed the rubber grommets where the brake lines pass through the fairing.
  • Installed the front wheel.
  • Installed and bled the front brakes and lines.
  • Attempted to bleed the rear brakes, and failed. Twice. I think that there is a leak where the hose from the reservoir attaches to the master cylinder. I need to remove the master cylinder (again) and investigate.
  • Repaired the broken coil mount (details and photos below.)
  • Sandblasted, painted and installed the battery cage (photos below.)
  • Installed the battery.
  • Cleaned, re-oiled and installed the K&N air filter.
  • Replace the oil filter and filled the engine with oil.
  • Installed the fairing lowers and chin piece.
  • Installed the exhaust pipes and muffler.
  • Installed the gas tank and fuel lines.
  • Started it up!

More details and photos on the coil mount repair.

The right side coil mount has been broken for many years. I had a crappy weld job done on it a long time ago to try and fix it, but it broke again shortly afterwards. Since then the coil has been attached with a couple of cable ties. This was sub-optimal.

My smart friend Mark stopped by the other day and suggested a repair method that had not occurred to me. (Mark is an engineer, an all-around smart guy, and the person I bought this bike from.)

The coils bolt to a stand-off that is welded to the frame. There is room behind the stand-off to slip in a steel bar with tapped holes in it. So that’s what I did. Some photos will help.

Here is the broken stand-off – that gap in the middle is where the coil is supposed to attach:

coil1

This is the broken off piece:

coil1a

Here is the cold-rolled steel bar that I made and slipped into the stand-off (what I really need to do is get someone to weld that into place – once the bike is running I’ll look into that.):

coil2

 

And here is the final sandwich repair:

coil3

 

Battery Cage Painting

I took the battery cage up to Tried and True Tools and used my friend Paul’s sand blaster to strip the paint and rust off it. Then I painted it with some Rustoleum.

Here is the before:

battery1

Post sand blast (It looked great and I was tempted to just clear-coat it!):

battery2

And after painting:

battery3

 

Work still to come

  • Figure out the rear brake issue.
  • Replace the front brake light switch (It’s pressure activated and full of gunk, so it’s always on.)
  • Adjust the carbs – mixture and balance.
  • Deal with the seat. I bought a new seat and some hinges, but the hinges don’t fit. I’m trying to figure out what hinges I need for it.

It’s getting closer! I can’t wait to ride it again!

%d bloggers like this: