Replacing the LuvBus Head Gasket – Part 2

Today I went out to Bil’s again and we yanked the head off the motor. Unfortunately I forgot my camera, so all I have are a few kind of crappy cell phone photos.

The upper row of bolts was not very tight, which may have been part of the reason the head gasket started leaking.

The block with the head gasket still in place.
The block with the head gasket still in place.

After we got the head off, we inspected the head gasket. There were no obvious places where it had blown out into a cylinder which was a little discouraging. But Bil discovered that the upper right section was delaminating and I inspected all the cylinders and discovered that there was some rust on the wall of number two – which is the upper right one. So we seem to have discovered the issue.

Crappy cell phone photo of some rust.
Crappy cell phone photo of some rust.

Bil is going to send the head out to have it inspected and maybe flattened and then he has to order some parts. Then we will get to put it all back together again (after cleaning…)

The head.
The head.

 

The bottom of the head.
The bottom of the head.
%d bloggers like this: