Assembling a Dust Deputy

The Oneida Dust Deputy is a small molded plastic cyclone-style dust separator for use with a shop vac. They claim it removes 99% of the dust from the vacuum flow before it reaches the shop vac filter. I don’t know about 99% but it does a pretty damned good job.

Removing the dust before it gets to the shop vac keeps the filter cleaner and thus the vacuum is more efficient. You also don’t need to clean or replace the filter nearly as often.

I finally took the plunge and bought one the other day. They cost less than $50 and Menards had a sale going on, so I clicked the buy button.

The Dust Deputy kit comes with just the cyclone. You need to add a bucket of some sort for the dust to drop into. Most people use 5 gallon pails. I didn’t want to deal with having to snap the lid on and off, so I bought a lid that unscrews.

Dust Deputy, lid and Homer bucket from Home Depot.
Dust Deputy, lid and Homer bucket from Home Depot.

The first issue is the fact that the lid is not flat in the center, so I can’t bore a hole in it and just mount the Dust Deputy.

dust03
Not going to work out.

So I decided to make a 1/4″ plywood disk and just cut out the center of the lid.

Laying out the plywood cover.
Laying out the plywood cover.

I setup my circle cutting jig on my bandsaw and cut out the cover.

Cutting the cover on the bandsaw.
Cutting the cover on the bandsaw.

Next I got out my scroll saw and cut out the hole for the dust deputy and the center of the lid.

Cutting the hole for the Dust Deputy.
Cutting the hole for the Dust Deputy.
Cutting out the center of the lid.
Cutting out the center of the lid.

After using a utility knife to trim off the bumps left behind by the ribs, I chucked up a 5/16″ bit and drilled two bolt holes 180 degrees apart through the lid and the plywood. I then bolted the lid to the plywood and drilled six more holes evenly spaced around the rim. I also drilled the six mounting holes for the dust deputy.

Drilling bolt holes.
Drilling bolt holes.

I unbolted the cover from the lid, ran a bead of latex caulk around the rim and bolted them back together with washers on the top and lock washers underneath.

Caulk.
Caulk.

Then I put another bead of caulk down where the Dust Deputy mounts and bolted it on.

More caulk.
More caulk.

All finished.

The Dust Deputy all bolted up.
The Dust Deputy all bolted up.

And here it is all ready to use.

Ready to suck!
Ready to suck!

To test it out I vacuumed up about a cubic foot of sawdust and as far as I could tell by looking in the bucket and in the vacuum the majority of the sawdust ended up in the bucket.

Should be a good addition to the shop and will work well with the ShapeOko.

%d bloggers like this: