Shapeoko 3 XL Upgrade Part 2

Last night I did some more work on my upgrade.

The first step was to extend a couple of wires. The ground wire and the Y limit switch wires were configured so that I needed to extend them a little bit, so I soldered some jumpers into them. I didn’t have any more green wire for the ground, so I had to use white. Look away if you have OCD.

Extending the wires.

Extending the wires.

After that I drilled and tapped the hole to mount the X cable carrier to the rail (no photo) and cleaned up the wiring by pulling them to all the same length, wrapping them with waxed linen string and cable tying them down.

Here you can see the X all the way to the right.

Here you can see the X all the way to the right.

Here you can see the X all the way to the left.

Here you can see the X all the way to the left.

After cleaning up the wiring I replaced the Z axis plate. I guess I didn’t take any photos, but it was pretty much moving all the parts from the old plate to the new one.

I then made sure the base was square by measuring the diagonals and tightened the bolts. I then squared up the rails the same way as before.

After setting all the rails (within about +/- 0.002″ – good enough for me) I put on the belts. I have to say that I like the new belt clips with the pressed in nuts quite a bit.

That was it for last night. It’s mostly done – I just need to clean up the controller end of the wires and figure out where to put the controller, power supply, SuperPID and laptop now.